Monday, January 19, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I finally watched the movie that everyone is talking about - Slumdog Millionaire. A friend of mine was going to watch it a couple of months back. He asked me if I wanted to go. I did not as I had heard it was too "depressing". I don't like depressing cinema, simply because life in itself is not that great. I don't want to come out of a theater all sad and sorry. But the fact that it won multiple globes convinced me to go for it and I did today.

The movie is nice. It is harsh, in your face and technically really good. The eye gouging scene and the "this is real India" scene stand out. The movie definitely makes an impact on a third person . The cast is able. The music strictly OK. I was expecting more from Rehman.

The thing I did not like about it was that there was nothing and no one positive about it. Everyone seemed to be out to get the protagonist. Mumbai can be callous and selfish, but not always. There are good souls in the city too. What was the need to have the show host to be so much of a dark character? Why was there no one to help the two boys stuck in a riot? How did Jamal feed himself after he parted with his brother? Did someone help him learn English? Was he not given the opportunity to earn a decent salary in a call center by a good samaritan? Being a hardcore Mumbaikar, I would want to see something positive atleast about my beloved Mumbai...

All in all though it was a movie I would recommend all and sundry to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home